Sunday, December 21, 2008

What I really LOVE...

I absolutly LOVE this time of year like most people. What I really love about this time of year is..
1. Christmas Cards= I LOVE getting Christmas cards!! It is so fun to read what friends and family have been up to. I love looking at all the pictures too!!!



2. Family!! I love getting to spend time with family!!
3. Christmas Music= Not only do I LOVE listening to Christmas music but I LOVE singing Christmas Music!!! I can remember Thanksgiving afternoon, we would bust out the Christmas music, decorate Gingerbread Houses and sing as loud as we could!! (I'll never forget when my Mom and Aunts danced on the table singing) I also really enjoy singing for different Christmas Party's and Church Activities!!!

4. Gingerbread Houses= Every year we make them!! It's so fun to get together with the kids and let them decorate, then the older girls get there turn to decorate!! It is SOOO fun to have Amanda here to join us again!!
4. Christmas Lights!! Spencer and I have a date night of drinking hot cocoa and driving around looking at all the lights!! The best ones I have seen are the 2 houses on 51st Ave. and Olive in Glendale. (this is a picture of our house)
5. Christmas Trees- Spencer surprised me with our tree this year! It is Beautiful!
6. Traditions= I could probably go on forever about traditions. Spencer says, "I never knew a family could have so many traditions." I will mention a few:

  • Christmas Caroling at the Life Care Center (We do it every FHE before Christmas, yep that's tomorrow night)

  • Secret Santas, we draw names at the FHE 2 weeks before Chirstmas and serve that family member, ex: make a bed, leave a little note. Then we reveal it the night we go caroling. (it's not as fun with just Spencer and Myself, can't wait to have a family!)

  • We have a special FHE anytime during December and my Mom gives us all a Christmas Tree ornament of something we accomplished that year. She goes all out making many and is very creative! (Spencer and I have continued to carry on that tradition: He went to NY with his Dad and Bro this year so he got the Statue of Liberty)

  • Reading Christmas stories every morning during breakfast!! Growing up my Mom or Dad made us breakfast every morning. During December she would read us a Christmas story.

  • Christmas Eve: I LOVE Christmas EVE! It has been fun being married and sharing different Christmas Eve traditions. Both Families act out the manger scene, which can be entertaining with little kids! No matter which side of the family we have a great time!

  • Matching PJ's. Since I was little we always had matching pj's with all the cousins that were there!! The girls matched and the boys. Then the couples had matching pj's too.

  • Christmas Goodies= We LOVE eating goodies and handing out goodie plates!

  • Santa= Spencer still laughs at my family!! We all still believe! We still don't know what Santa has gotten us until we get up EARLY Christmas morning. Christmas Morning= We get up really early look what Santa brought, eat Cinnamon rolls and Pull-Apart. Drink Hot Cocoa and fresh Orange juice!










    • Christmas Parade! I Love the Christmas parades! I hope to be able to make it to the light parade in Phoenix when we have kids (its awesome). I also love the Sierra Vista small town Parades. (this is part of our group waiting for the parade to start: Sierra Vista's first light parade)
    • We also have a Manger that is empty and whenever we serve somebody we get to put a piece of yarn in it to fill the manger. It is fun to see how full we can get it before Christmas.
    • Like I said we could go on forever with traditions but one Spencer and I have started this year to collect small Christmas gifts and give to a family. Thanks to the help of my in-laws, we were able to put together a great Christmas morning for this family.
    Okay now if you read this entire Novel I am impressed! I had to write it all down for journal purposes! I Love the Christmas Season and ALWAYS miss it when it's over. The good thing is that it comes again! Love you all and hope you have a Merry Christmas!

    7 comments:

    Jessica said...

    Those are some great traditions! I love acting out the nativity on Christmas Eve. I also love cutting down our Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving. This year I am starting a new tradition with Sean and Carter. We are going to give gifts to the Savior on Christmas Eve. We will each write down something we will give to the Savior for the next year (i.e. study scriptures more, go to the temple more, etc) and we will put them in a box and the next year we will review them and give new "gifts."

    russandkatie said...

    I loved reading that, thanks for sharing!

    Mendy said...

    You have some great traditions. I would love to send you a card to add to your wall. Email me your address! I hope you have the best Christmas and hope Santa brings you something really great!

    Anonymous said...

    We have several of the same traditions as you guys. I love it! I really like the manger/yarn idea, I hadn't heard of that one. Maybe we'll adopt that tradition in our little family. :)

    Haymore Family said...

    wow thanks marlee that is the best picture ever of all us girls, im gonna need payback for that! and yes you have a ton of traditions

    Kara said...

    I love all the traditions you guys have, that's so fun! I need to start some fun and original traditions for our family...I just need to think of some! :)

    Our Ohana said...

    Fun Traditions!!!

    Now that we're down here - we'll have to get together with you and Spencer sometime!!!!