In High School I had the opportunity to have a great friend get baptized into the church. She spent a lot of time at our house between volleyball, basketball, and track practices. She was a year younger than me in school, so when I graduated she still continued to come over for Sunday dinners and such with my family. After she graduated she attended college in Iowa and it became hard to attend her church meetings. She lived far away from the building, didn't have a car so tried to find rides. We kept in contact through phone and met up when we were both home for the Holidays. She then transferred to South Carolina for her last 2 years. She became inactive slowly and admitted to making some poor choices. Unfortunately we slowly lost contact. Out of the clear blue I was sitting in church and received a text. (I don't usually have my phone because I am ALWAYS on the YW to put them away) But... glanced down and read...
"Marlee, this is .......... I just wanted to let you know that I love you and appreciate all you have done for me. Thanks for setting such a great example for me. I went to church this Sunday for the first time in a couple of years."
Before I could reply (without anyone seeing) she continued...
"It was an amazing experience, similar to when I got baptized. I felt the Spirit so strong and can't believe I have let myself get so far away. Tell your family I love them!"
I was able to text back that I was in church and it was great to hear from her. Then that afternoon we were able to talk on the phone for and hour! It was so great to hear the excitement in her voice about the church. She is now living in Arizona and attending church. She broke up with her boyfriend and is ready to prepare for a temple marriage. I talked to her today again (week later) she is doing awesome! I LOVE how I could hear the change in her voice as she expresses her love for the church. She is making the correct changes in her life so she can be able to live with our Heavenly Father again. She said that!!! I am so stoked!! I Love it!! I am so thankful for missionary work and that we can all do it. It reminded me to continue to invite non members into our home and most importantly be a good example!!
9 comments:
What a great story! Thanks for sharing!
that's great!
oh gosh marlee that brought tears to my eyes. i am so happy right now. so happy. i would love love to post a story like that on my blog. maybe someday :) oh seriously that is just so wonderful.
That is such an amazing story! I had a very dear friend of mine get baptized right after high school and he was so on track and had such an amazing testimony. But his support network went on missions and got married and so he was just left with his non-member friends and eventually fell back into old habits. It still breaks my heart to think about, but reading your post gives me hope! So thanks for sharing your story! :)
Marlee, I am so excited for her. I am glad that she decided to go back to church...what made decide to go back after all this time? I hope someday another friend of ours comes back to the church!! This story give us hope!!
I have been praying for her and five others twice a day for the past five years. I can't tell you how happy I am. Thank you for sharing--what happy news! Prayers are answered!
Marlee....gosh, you're cute. I just hopped on over from Amanda's blog, but first from Allison's blog.....who I saw on another blog. I can't help myself. You cute haymore's. I miss seeing your little faces.
Next time you see your mom....tell her hello.
Sorry, this is Ashley Silk, now Johnston. You are totally welcome to check out our family blog....but it's set to private. Send me an email. joh05058@gmail.com
Take care of yourself.
Amazing! Awesome story!
Marlee!! I'm so excited to hear that story! I got a little misty!! Tell her I say and that I love her! I love you too!!
Post a Comment